Greasy Beaks Fishing Adventures

Greasy Beaks Fishing Adventures
Guided Fly Fishing with Capt. Eliot

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Winter Steelhead '09



Winter steelhead came early this year with fish showing up during the salmon run. In yrs. past I had experienced random coincidences such as this but never a multiple in one day. Fishing was good in that I didn't have many skunkings provided I put in a full day. I caught fish on many new southern rivers in the early part of December.




The December avg. was usually around 1/day, but proved rewarding for exploring new systems. After getting back from Fla. and fresh off of knee surgery I started to get hot and it continued through the rest of the winter with Native fish becoming a common occurrence.




This Steelhead is still the greatest thing I have ever landed on a fly rod. It measured 41.5in x 21.5in in girth - I will always remember this fish!!



Big Fish were around this year and I felt fortunate to have landed the ones I hooked.

This fish took an egg pattern briefly before coming off due to lack of a good hook set. I gave it a break and tied on a cotton candy which he proceeded to chomp on the next drift!




No comments: